Upgrading Flash Streaming Server for Echo 360 (Apreso) March 24, 2008Posted by ficial in Instructional Technology, lecture capture.
Due to a relatively recent security hole in Adobe’s Flash Server 2 we had to upgrade the one driving our Echo360 (nee Apreso) system. It was a little scary to contemplate, but in fact went smoothly.
- Downloaded the latest version Flash Media Streaming Server 3 from Adobe – Flashmedia3_Int_Strm_ALP.zip – it was a bit disconcerting since this is about 160 megs and the previous version was about 8, but it’s OK.
- Ran a full back up of the host machine
- Unpacked the FMS zip file
- Ran the installer, accepting all the default choices and creating the same admin account and password as for the previous version (I don’t know if that’s strictly necessary, but seemed easiest)
- Edited the server configuration file (C:\Program Files\Adobe\Flash Media Server 3\conf\fms.ini) to set the VHOST.APPSDIR property (our Echo360 streaming folder is on a different partition from the FMS install)
- Restarted the FMS
- Tested a previously recorded presentation and it worked.
- Haven’t yet tried recording a new presentation, but given that the existing ones worked fine I don’t foresee any difficulties